How to find septic tank with metal detector?
Searching for a septic tank can be hectic if in case you want to inquire. Professionals do find it difficult to find the location at times, why? Because it all depends on the area that the house is situated.
But come to think of it, is finding a septic tank so important? Definitely yes! Septic tank has to be inspected and tested before a house is bought or while it’s under reconstruction.
It’s one of the significant parts of a house that must be evaluated and be maintained consistently to keep the vicinity free from pollution. Of course, using a metal detector will make your work easy. We’ve made a post with the Best Metal Detector Brands.
You can use some metal detectors like: RM RICOMAX Metal Detector, Garrett 1140900 Pro-Pointer AT or Garrett ACE 200 Metal Detector. Metal detectors can determine targets that are buried a few inches under the topsoil. Apart from that, they have the futuristic to search for metals of all sorts and users can even discriminate its findings.
In other words, you can utilize a metal detector to find a specific kind of metal. This would make your findings easy and super convenient.
However, the search can still be confounding if one hasn’t entirely learned how to find a septic tank with a metal detector, how? Because an individual must not only know how do metal detectors work, but must understand the conventional manners on how septic tanks are situated.
Among the prerequisites that one has to imbibe while finding is that septic tanks are often found around the house. They are mostly sited 20” from the wall of a building.
Not only that, other procedures are often observed by experts while searching for a septic tank cover. There are more to this, however, let’s consider the steps below.
According to WikipediaA septic tank consist of 1 or more plastic or concrete tanks of between 1000 & 2000 gallons 4000 & 7500 liters.
Things to Consider about How to Find Septic Tank with Metal Detector?:
1) Helpful Options and Information
- The major reason why experts fail while searching for a septic tank cover is that they fail to ask whether the septic tank is connected to the municipal or not. Provided the answer is provided to be no, then the expert can embark on the search.
- Nevertheless, another means that can search pretty fast is to search for the drain exit and use a pumping snake to find the terminal. This also would make ease in locating the position of the septic tank.
- However, in cases whereby all these are scarce and the main option to use is a metal detector from the start to the end, then the searcher can consider the following tips to make ease the findings.
2) Where to Check?
- Provided the house is surrounded with shrubs and small grasses, then look for a section around it that’s bald.
- Sometimes, you can find a septic tank in a portion of land that the type or color of grass grown is different from the ones that are surrounding it.
- However, if the arena is filled with dried or muddy sand, then there must be a portion around the house that the ground level is not equal to the other.
- Mostly, they are found in downhill areas if it’s a bit distant from a building. Notwithstanding, it can’t be farther than 10 feet away from a building.
- These tips are also applicable to a region that’s filled with snows.
3) Choose a Quality Metal Detector
- Now, if you’re choosing a metal detector, it’s advisable that you opt for a product that has a good number of diameter, why? Because it would increase its level of sensitivity.
- Also, choose the very one that you’d be convenient to use in term of sizes, especially those that are adjustable. Purchasing those with accessories such as shovels and so on would make ease of your findings.
- Nevertheless, the good thing about metal detectors is that they reproduce different sounds for different metals. However, use a unit that you’re familiar with its sounds (of course, it would benefit you if you’re told the kind of metal used for the cover of the septic tank before searching).
4) Assembling and Setups
- Read the manual to know the components and what each of them is used for.
- Tighten the search coil to the lower stem with the nut and screw that comes with it.
- Fix the stem to the nadir of the upper stem and snap the ball-like iron at the tip of the lower stem into one of the holes for adjustability.
- Attach the control panel and start your setups.
- Use the modes and the P/P functions to adjust the settings on the metal detector.
5) Using a Metal Detector for Finding a Septic Tank
- Once you begin to find the septic tank, utilize the tips that we provided for easy findings. Furthermore, we enjoin you to set your metal detector at an ‘all metals’ options, why? Because it’s more functional using this option compared to discriminating metals while searching.
- Sometimes, metal detectors fail to recognize a certain metal due to the nature of the soil and some technical issues if the discriminating option is used.
- Also, we employ you to master the sounds that it reproduces for a certain kind of metal even before using or while using it. You can even grip it with one hand and the use the other hand to grip a long stick or shovel for easy findings
6) Safety Precautions
- Ensure that you avoid subsidence or sinking soil. Of course, you can stretch out your hands in the direction of the space but avoid standing on the surface.
- Avoid dry wells and look out for a septic tank where almost all the pipes are channeled to.
- Ensure that you put on your safety dress to prevent reptiles and injuries
- Once you’re done, you can begin to disassemble the metal detector. Start by unscrewing the knob of the control panel and the nut that connects the search coil to the lower stem.
- Afterward, remove the lower stem from the upper stem. Doing this won’t take you a long period at all.
- Although metal detectors are waterproof, always endeavor to dry them immediately after use. Of course, you’d have to clean it and dry it after use. Once all that is done, you can save it.
- However, ensure that you don’t soak the control panel in water and you meticulously clean the unit and save it.
This just the simplest way to find a septic tank with a metal detector. This article provided the needful tips that one needs in finding tank cover in all kinds of surfaces. The pieces of information are highly researched and reliable for the quality use of the unit.
The tips can be easily practiced by anyone, and it can be used in all weather conditions. We at this moment hope our amiable readers have learned the systematic ways of finding septic tanks.
More Articles About Metal Detectors: