Choosing the Best Water Filter Pitcher available on the Market: Top 10 Buying Guide & FAQs
Is it stressful to see your kids saying no to the essential H20 due to bad taste or smell?
Well, it is wise to think of improving the drinking water quality to stay hydrated and fit using the best water filter pitcher.
Small and plain in design, the water pitchers are capable of extracting contaminants from tap water. A pitcher of standard size can provide sufficient drinking water for a family of four. Even a 5-year old can quickly and easily install it on a countertop.
With a variety of brands, models, and types of pitchers flooding the market, it can be confusing to select the right product as per your needs. So, how do you choose the best water filter pitcher? Well, by comparing the most promising models as per the buying factors! Read on to know them!
- Top 10 Water Filter Pitchers Comparison 2019:
- Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
- pH RESTORE Alkaline Water Pitcher With 2 Long-Life Filters
- Epic Pure Water Filter Pitcher
- Brita Large 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher with 1 Standard Filter
- Waterdrop Extream Long-Lasting (200 Gallons), 10-Cup Water Filter Pitcher with Wooden Handle
- MAVEA 1018903 Elemaris XL 9-Cup Water Filtration Pitcher
- Reshape Water Alkaline Water Pitcher With 2 Long-Lasting Filters
- PUR 18 Cup Dispenser with Filter
- CamelBak Relay Pitcher
- ZeroWater 10 Cup Pitcher with Free Water Quality Meter BPA-Free
- Buyer’s Guide for The Best Water Filter Pitcher
Top 10 Water Filter Pitchers Comparison 2019:
Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
This one is the best water filter pitcher for any health-conscious buyer who does not mind spending significantly. This Aquagear pitcher has the best filter cartridges that hardly any other pitcher contains. They take off most common contaminants along with some nasty ones such as fluoride, chlorine, mercury, copper, nitrates, arsenic, and lead. People of Flint have used it after an awful water crisis.
This USA-made pitcher is free of BPA, which means you need not bother of dubious materials. Instead, it is made up of food-grade, vegan materials approved by the FDA. These triple filters exceed the 42 and 53 standards and generate 150 gallons of water each time.
The pitcher has a lifetime guarantee. Although costlier than most pitchers, it is available easily, works most effectively, and lasts proficiently.
pH RESTORE Alkaline Water Pitcher With 2 Long-Life Filters
A unique aspect of this pitcher is its ability to offer mineralized, alkaline, and ionized water for boosting the overall well-being. Drinking alkaline water triggers several health beneficial effects including reduced inflammation and improved immunity.
The pitcher comes with two quality filters, of which one is made up of zeolite, micro nets, and activated charcoal coconut and ion resin, which remove VOCs, chlorine, fluoride, heavy metals, and chloramine. No organic or non-organic matter is left out due to the improved membrane of the second filter. You can expect good taste and zero odor.
You can expect 96 gallons or 1500 cups of water. The design is also commendable with easy-to-fill lid mechanism, ergonomic handle, and filter change notification. It is SGS, 9001:2000, RoHS, TUV, and FDA certified.
Epic Pure Water Filter Pitcher
Consider this 3.5L pitcher for having a premium filtration output at a more affordable price than the Aquagear pitcher. It is perhaps one of the few pitchers that give a strong competition to the Aquagear model.
Exceeding the Standard 42 and 53 of ANSI/EPA, the pitcher features a 5-stage filtration capacity induced by its three quality filters giving almost pure 150 gallons of fresh water. The filters tend to take away 99.9% percent of tap pollutants.
Both the Aquagear and Epic filters are admired for discarding 2000% more contaminants than the pitchers from Brita. The 5-stage filtration process removes all pollutants that the conventional filter pitchers cannot, including lead, copper, fluoride, and other toxins. The jar is made up of food-grade, recyclable materials. It also boasts a convenient, flexible pour spout and a secure lid.
Brita Large 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher with 1 Standard Filter
Brita is one of the most admired water filter brands known for its highly-efficient proprietary cartridges. Its filters are known to discard maximum contaminants. Both these features are present in this large purple pitcher for providing safe and clean water.
The oval design saves much storage space while in the refrigerator or on the counter. It is also lighter to hold and convenient to carry and use due to the integrated standard handle. While there is a single filter, it is capable of improving odor and taste by removing chlorine and other impurities such as zinc, copper, fluoride, cadmium, and mercury.
The affordable filter lasts well to give you 40 gallons of clean and better-tasting water, which means you can expect to do its job for two months. Just a single Brita filter can replace 300 water bottles of 16 oz., which is surely going to save much money and reduce plastic waste.
Waterdrop Extream Long-Lasting (200 Gallons), 10-Cup Water Filter Pitcher with Wooden Handle
This 10-cup pitcher is specifically designed for the infants who can unknowingly rely on its shatter-proof and safe Tritan material. It features an advanced filtration technology of Japan for ensuring ten times better absorption than the standard carbon technology, five times longer life than several brands, and two times quicker filtration than most popular pitchers.
The filtration happens through four layers to reduce sediments, heavy metals, hardness level, limescale, chlorine, and VOCs. The ion exchange resin layer with NSF 61 certification effectively brings down the limescale as well as water hardness for a better taste.
The pitcher is capable of giving 200 gallons of water. Just one filter can replace 2,000 bottles of 16.9 oz., which means a significant drop in plastic waste.
The pitcher boasts an ergonomic design with its wooden handle ensuring comfort and grip, and bottom silicon keeping noise and sliding away.
MAVEA 1018903 Elemaris XL 9-Cup Water Filtration Pitcher
MAVEA 1018903 pitcher features a creative filtration system of Germany, a build of highest quality materials, and a smart design. It holds nine cups of clearer, cleaner, and better tasting water than what you may have expected. The credit goes to an advanced filtration process that requires no pre-soaking for activation.
The pitcher contains a filter medium coated with silver to impede bacterial growth and a micro-screen to curb the emission of black residue into the processed water. The adherence to WQA and NSF ANSI 42 and 53 Standards indicates that the filter also removes chlorine and heavy metals. Apart from that, the pitcher is capable of reducing limescale and removing organic impurities and atrazine pesticides.
The pitcher gives you 40 gallons of drinkable water. It automatically reminds you of changing the filter after two months. The lid opens with the flow of water and shuts off on its own once the container is full. A smart meter gauges the water volume and hardness along with the duration of use. The rubberized feet and handle along with a soft handle are truly is comfortable.
Reshape Water Alkaline Water Pitcher With 2 Long-Lasting Filters
This water filter pitcher is worth a look if you are seeking alkaline and mineralized water without fluoride and oxidation. The pitcher gives not only purified water but also mineralized water. The filters discard different pollutants while injecting natural and alkalizing minerals such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium.
In simple words, the hard tap water softens and contains no bad taste or unexpected color. The integrated filtering system also reduces the oxidation level, which means more antioxidants in the body while less free radicals are moving in your body.
The filters are easily replaceable and are more affordable than those used in the comparable pitchers. They last to give 79 gallons of water free from lead, fluoride, chlorine, and volatile organic compounds, which means a lifespan of more than two months.
The BPA-free filters are SGS certified, and FDA approved. They are made using FIR balls, minerals, reactivated carbon, ion exchange resins, and harmful particles for alkalizing water.
The pitcher is made using ABS plastic that makes it durable. Its design nicely fits inside a refrigerator. The lid is worth commending, as it keeps spills at bay while you pour.
PUR 18 Cup Dispenser with Filter
This large pitcher comes with a capacity of holding 1.125 gallons of pure water after passing through a two-stage filtration process. The certified PUR filters are capable of discarding 96% of mercury and 21 other contaminants as well as reducing the unwanted odor and taste of chlorine. It can easily remove 95% of pharmaceuticals. The credit goes to the ion and activated carbon exchange resin in filters.
The filters give 40 gallons of clear water, which last up to two months before you replace them. They can save thousands of dollars per year on plastic water bottles.
The design is slim and shiny, while the build saves a significant amount of storage space while even in a refrigerator. The convenient handles facilitate ease of use and maneuverability to and from the sink. The distinct fill-tray design keeps spillage at bay by evenly dispensing the water weight.
CamelBak Relay Pitcher
CamelBak Relay Pitcher is an ideal pitcher for those who want water having no chlorine in it. The double-filter system shall quickly remove chlorine and other big particles such as sand, dirt, and rust. So, you can expect clear water with no bad smell or taste.
Yes, it does not remove several other pollutants unlike other pitchers in this list. Having a capacity of filling 10 cups daily, the model boasts a space-saving, slim design due to which it can easily fit inside most refrigerators.
The pitcher is made using sturdy and BPA-Free Tritan material that is kid-friendly. A special mention goes to its lid that has a spill-proof lock and a filter replacement dial.
ZeroWater 10 Cup Pitcher with Free Water Quality Meter BPA-Free
ZeroWater is a modern 10-cup filter pitcher with a dispenser at the bottom due to which it is handy to store it in a refrigerator without moving it while refilling. A distinct feature is its battery-powered TDS meter along with the five-step filtration process provides cleaner water.
The process features a micro-cloth instilled with activated carbon, which never fails in removing 99% of dissolved solids. This involves the exclusion of mercury, chromium, hydrogen sulfide, and chlorine to ensure better taste and odor. The NSF-certified filter lasts for two to three months.
Buyer’s Guide for The Best Water Filter Pitcher
To find the best water filter pitcher, it is essential to know what to check or which factors to consider. These factors will tell you how to compare the most promising models. So, let’s check them out!
- Contaminants that are Removed: Most water filter pitchers do not take off all the pollutants. Many pitchers use activated carbon to catch pollutants such as chlorine for improving taste and color. This is fine for those who do not have any significant health issue. A few pitchers can remove some nasty pollutants such as fluoride and lead. So, it all depends on what you want to remove.
- Certification: Do focus on getting a pitcher that has a certification guaranteeing the removal of contaminants to a great extent (not entirely). Certifications such as the NSF Standard 42 ensuring no chlorine taste and Standard 53 ensuring no disease-triggering pollutants are valuable. Standard 53 ensures removal of VOCs, nitrites, fluorides, and heavy metals. You can even look for the rare NSF Standard 401 that provides removal of pesticides, herbicides, OTC medicines, prescription drugs, and other such unwanted compounds.
- Shape and Size: You need to check this factor if you wish to ensure that the chosen pitcher will fit the storage space, especially if it is in the refrigerator door. Frequently, the shelves are not tall enough to accommodate a pitcher.
- Pitcher-Capacity: Go for a large capacity if you tend to drink lots of water daily, which is good for your health. Some pitchers can accommodate nearly 11-cups of water, which is enough for fulfilling the daily quota.
- Filter Capacity/Longevity: This determines the filter’s lifespan. Most pitchers come with a filtration capacity of 30 gallons lasting for one to two months to 200 gallons lasting for six months. Still, to be precise, it is ideal to note the date of the last replacement and trace daily consumption.
- Bisphenol-A (BPA)-free Plastic: The BPA chemical is used in making plastic products including water filter pitchers. A significant issue with it is that it seeps into whatever is stored in the container and result in health issues. Thus, it is wise to choose a BPA-free water filter pitcher.
- Ease of Use and Cleaning: It is essential to clean the container giving you pure water to keep bacteria and other harmful stuff away. Thus, choose a water pitcher with a simple design featuring only a few corners for easy cleaning.
- Filter Change Notification: Some pitchers come with a reminder or notification system to indicate you that it is time to change the filters. It is a useful feature to have if you tend to forget things due to hectic schedules.
How do I know it is time to change the pitcher filter?
It is pretty simple. If the draining speed becomes slow or the filtered water’s taste changes, it is time to change the filter.
How frequently should I change the pitcher filter?
Usually, it is recommended to change the filter every two to three months. However, it depends on the source and contamination level of the water. Higher the contamination level faster shall be the clogging, and more frequently you would need to change the filter.
Can a water filter found in pitchers catch viruses?
No, these filters are incapable of catching viruses. Viruses are minute due to which they can easily pass the filter. For removing viruses, you would need to boil water or use a water purifier.
How long these water filters last?
Well, there is no straightforward answer to this question. It depends on the filter type, product’s build quality, and the manufacturer.
What do BPA-free materials indicate?
BPA-free materials indicate that the use of plastic in making the pitcher has no chemicals that are likely to contaminate water.