When you are looking for a metal detector for your kids, you have to bear in mind that there are two major types of detectors for kids.
The first one is for the real toys that are just designed to look like a detector but do not detect anything.
This review does not discuss those because they are useless and there is nothing to address them.
The second category is for the real metal detectors designed for kids. In this category, the three most important factors are the age of your kid, the simplicity of use, and the weight of the detector.
The detector has to be very easy for your kid to understand otherwise using it won’t be fun for him/her.
Then any kid below the age of 4 is not eligible to use a metal detector. So, the use of the device can be divided into two age brackets. A particular set of detectors are suitable for children of ages 4 to 9 while a slightly more advanced one is great for children who are ten years old or above.
- Top Best Metal Detectors for Kids 2019 – Reviews and Comparisons:
- How to Use a Bounty Hunter Metal Detector?
- How to read the display unit of a metal detector?
- How deep do metal detectors go?
- Our Picks of the Best metal detector for kids Review:
- Buying Guide – How to choose the Best Metal Detector for Kids 2019?
- Final Verdict
Top Best Metal Detectors for Kids 2019 – Reviews and Comparisons:
|Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector||Brand: Bounty Hunter|
Dimension: 22 x 6 x 5 Inches
Weight: 1.3 Pounds
Item model number: BHJS-PL
|High-accuracy Metal Finder with LCD Display||Brand: RM RICOMAX|
Dimension: 48 x 10 x 10 Inches
Weight: 2.31 Pounds
Item model number: GC-1028
|DR.ÖTEK Waterproof Pinpointer Metal Detector||Brand: DR.ÖTEK|
Dimension: 11 x 3 x 2.5 Inches
Weight: 13.6 Ounces
Color: MT6 Black
|TACKLIFE Metal Detector||Brand: TACKLIFE|
Dimension: 21.7 x 8.9 x 6.8 Inches
Weight: 2.1 Pounds
|INTEY Upgraded Metal Detector||Brand: INTEY|
Dimension: 22.5 x 8.5 x 5.5 Inches
Weight: 3.9 Pounds
Item model number: GC-1065
|Viewee Kids Outdoor Adventure Metal Detector||Brand: Viewee|
Dimension: 7.4 x 5.1 x 28.1 Inches
Weight: 3 Pounds
Search Coil: Adjustable
Color: RED Detector 1
|Bounty Hunter Junior Metal Detector||Brand: Teknetics|
Dimensions: 11.2 x 6.5 x 4 Inches
Weight: 3.5 Pounds
Item model number: DELTA-PL
How to Use a Bounty Hunter Metal Detector?
1. Take the time to set it up for them
Even if the metal detector is meant for your kid, it is essential to open the package, assemble it, and test it before giving it to him. For instance, not all detectors come with batteries. You may need to purchase a battery before it works. Although this rarely happens, it still does. Something may be wrong with it. If you are the one that opens it, you will quickly detect the problem and return it. Your kid may not understand this.
2. Use it for a while
After confirming that the parts are complete and it is working fine. You can use it yourself or use it along with your kid before handing it over to him or her completely.
3. You still need to watch how it is handled
Kids will be kids, so you need to keep an eye on how the product is being used. Ensure they don’t mishandle it. It is better you don’t allow your kid to use it when there is no adult to watch him or her. Even if the detector comes with a few years warranty, warranties don’t cover every fault.
4. Some of them are not waterproof
The search coil of some of the detectors is not waterproof, so you need to ensure that it is not used inside water and other wet areas. Here is a problem that may occur. Do you have an adult detector for yourself? Is it waterproof? If yes, you should ensure you get a waterproof detector for your kid. If he sees you using yours inside water, he will wonder why he can’t also do the same.
5. Teach them how to read the display
To use a detector properly, kids need to understand how to read the information displayed in the display unit. Your kids should understand what every text and icon means.
6. Teach them about the alert signals
When a piece of metal is detected, some detectors will give only a sound signal. Some will give both audio and LED light signals, and some will include a vibration. You need to take the time to teach your kids about the signals.
7. Prepare him for days of no-detection
Initially, it will be so much fun, but things will change after several sessions without detecting any single piece of coin or metal. The kid will become frustrated. This is why you should prepare his or her mind for the days when no metal will be detected.
8. Metal hunting is more pleasurable when done together
Do you have your detector? Great. Your kid will love it more when you both search for metals together. You will make use of your detector, and he will use his. Both of you will catch the fun together.
How to read the display unit of a metal detector?
Some metal detectors come with a display unit, and some don’t go with it. The ones that do not come with a display unit do not have as many features as the others. Here are what to look for in a display unit. You can check the battery level, depth of the metal detected, the type of metal detected, current mode (for detectors that have more than one pattern), and other necessary information.
It is also essential to read the manual properly to understand what every information means because some of them may not be so clear. For instance, you may see codes like “Disc” on the display unit. When it is active, it means that the detector is in the discrimination mode.
The mode allows users to select the kinds of metals they want to search for. Once that is done, the machine will ignore any metal that is not one of the preferred metals.
In a metal detector for kids, the display unit is kid-friendly with easy to understand graphics. So, it will be easy for you and your kid to understand it. Generally, detectors meant for kids are usually very easy to understand.
How deep do metal detectors go?
1. Depths vary
Different metal detectors offer varying depths. This is why the depth at which they go is one of the factors to consider when you are planning to purchase one. Since these are metal detectors for kids, they are more or less for fun so they may not offer much depth.
2. Detectors for kids don’t need much depth
Metal detectors for only kids do not need to go so deep because kids cannot dig so deep except if the detector is designed for both kids and adults. Nevertheless, the depth that each of the best metal detectors for kids can go has been stated below, one after the other.
3. Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector:
This detector can go up to 5 inches deep for coins and smaller objects and 3 feet deep for larger purposes.
4. High-accuracy Metal Finder:
This machine searches for metals up to 7.1 inches deep.
5. Dr.Ötek Waterproof Pinpointer Metal Detector:
This goes up to 3 to 4 inches deep.
6. Tacklife Metal Detector:
This device does up to 3 to 4 inches deep.
7. Intey Upgraded Metal Detector:
This metal detector goes as deep as 7 inches.
8. Viewee Kids Outdoor Adventure Metal Detector:
This machine searches for metals up to 8 inches deep from the surface.
Our Picks of the Best metal detector for kids Review:
1. Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector
This is a great metal detector for kids. It is designed to detect metal objects up to 5 inches deep, and for big objects, it can detect them up to 3 feet deep. To make it easier to detect the exact location of the metal identified, the volume of the signal tone increases as you get closer to the object and it decreases when you move farther away from it.
It also has a discrimination function to screen off some unwanted metals like valueless irons. Once you activate the function, the machine will ignore the unwanted metals, and that is great. You don’t want your kid to be alerted, and after digging, he realizes that the metal is a piece of rusted nail. Nothing can be more disappointing.
- The metal detector can detect metals up to about 5 inches to 3 feet deep depending on the size of the metal.
- The alert tone increases as you move closer to the target.
- Users can screen off metals they don’t want by activating the discrimination function.
- It weighs just 1.3 pounds.
- It has a low battery indicator.
- Two 9v batteries power it, but they are not included in the pack.
- It comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- It is recommended for children of ages 6 to 12.
2. High-accuracy Metal Finder with LCD Display
This metal detector can find metals up to 7.1 inches underground. It has an unusually large coil which makes it even more effective. A 10-inch search coil is quite commendable. The search coil is not only large, but it is also waterproof. So you can use it in shallow water. This will make your kid love it. Although its stem is also waterproof, its control box is not. So, it should be kept away from water.
Here is the bomb. This machine comes with a lifetime warranty. For as long as you are still using it, if anything goes wrong with it, you will get a free replacement. Its discrimination mode will allow you to select the kind of metals you want to detect. Every kind of metal has its tone, so when you receive an audio alert, you already know what kind of metal it is.
- The device comes with 10-inch search coil.
- Its search coil and stem are both waterproof.
- It can detect metals up to 7.1 inches below the ground.
- It has a full LCD unit.
- The device is easy to use.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The detector has a discrimination facility.
- It also has numerous distinctive audio prompts.
3. DR.ÖTEK Waterproof Pinpointer Metal Detector
This detector is about 10 meters of water resistant. That means you can take it up to 32 feet deep inside the ocean. It will still work. However, it can detect small metals only about 4 inches underground. Another wonderful quality of the product is its compact size. It has the size of a flashlight. That means it does not have a display unit, but its alarm is quite loud. So, you can’t miss it.
Since it can work deep down in the water, it is one of the best for searching for metals in the ocean. This gives you a huge advantage over the users of other metal detectors. It has 360-degree detection, and that makes it more effective. Has an LED and a vibrating alarm. It is powered by a single 9V battery. Most importantly, it comes with a 100 percent money back guarantee.
- It is waterproof up to 10 meters.
- The device offers 360-degree detection.
- It has a vibrating alarm.
- It also has an LED alarm.
- Comes with a 100 percent money-back guarantee.
- It is powered by a single 9V battery.
- It is very compact.
- And has about 4cm sensitivity.
4. TACKLIFE Metal Detector
As powerful as this detector is, it has a simple design, looks, and feels. It is okay anyway because it is meant for kids. Your kid will love its large LCD screen so much. Kids will also love its simplicity because, for them, simplicity is a priority. To make it easy for kids to carry it around, it weighs just 1.2 pounds. Its 6.7-inch search coil is also great for metal hunting.
Its stem can be adjusted to suit the height of the user. However, the detector is recommended for children of ages 6 to 12. It operates at a frequency of 7.68KHz. Most importantly, it has a low battery indicator, and you are the one that will monitor it. Once the low battery light is on, you must replace the battery. The 9V alkaline battery lasts longer than a carbon battery so, you should always purchase the former.
- This kiddies’ detector weighs only 1.2 pounds.
- It operates at a frequency of 7.68KHz.
- A 9V battery powers it.
- It has a large LCD screen.
- It comes with a 6.7-inch search coil.
- The product comes with a 2-year warranty on it.
- It can detect metals that are up to 4 inches deep.
- There is a low battery indicator light that will alert you when its battery is low.
5. INTEY Upgraded Metal Detector
This metal detector is designed for both adults and kids. So, a whole family can use it to search for metal together for fun. Its stem can be extended from 33.5 to 45 inches. The device can detect ring, silver, gold, jewelry, relics, and several kinds of metals. It also works in three different modes. The latter helps you screen off not-so-valuable metals like coins, zinc, and iron.
You can easily use it for shallow water hunting because its search coil and stem are both waterproof. A 9v battery powers it. The product alerts users with both sounds and light when metal is detected. It is also very light, and even a kid will be able to move it around. It weighs only 3.9 pounds precisely.
- Its stem can be adjusted from 33.5 to 45 inches to suit the height of the user.
- Its search coil is waterproof.
- Disc mode allows users to screen off some types of metals.
- It gives both sounds and LED light signals.
- It weighs just 3.9 pounds.
- INTEY Upgraded Metal Detector comes with a folding shovel.
- It has a low battery indicator.
- The detector operates in three modes.
6.Viewee Kids Outdoor Adventure Metal Detector
This metal detector is one of the best for kids. With a combination of an LED light alert and buzzer, your kid will never miss an alert. The device can find metals buried 8 inches below the ground. Most importantly, the search coil and stem of the metal detector are 100 percent waterproof, but the display panel is not. It is also necessary to mention the fact that its stem is adjustable.
To suit the height of the user, the length of the detector can also be adjusted from 27.5 inches to 35.4 inches. While it is meant for kids, it is also suitable for a beginner in the profession of treasure hunting.
- The search coil and stem of the detector are both adjustable.
- The package comes with a shovel.
- It also comes with a carry bag and a backpack chain.
- The detector weighs just 3 pounds.
- It works with a single 9v battery.
- Offers both buzzers and LED light alert.
- It can detect metals that are up to 8 inches underground.
- The search coil and stem of the detector are both waterproof.
7. Bounty Hunter Junior Metal Detector
First of all, it is important to bear in mind that this is not a real metal detector. It is a mere toy meant for introducing your kid to an interesting hobby. However, it can still detect some metals like ring, nickel, and coins. If you are a metal detectorist and you want your kids to love the hobby, this product will attract them to the hobby. Just let their playtime revolve around the use of the toy metal detector.
Although it is a toy, it works just like a real one, and it also has all the parts of a real metal detector. It is just not as effective as a real one.
- The device is quite durable.
- It operates at a frequency of 6.6 KHz, so it detects some coins and other metals.
- It comes with only two buttons, so it is easy to operate.
- Its search coil is waterproof up to 6-inch deep.
- It has a battery level indicator.
- Its height is adjustable.
- Its weight of 1. 5 pounds makes it very light.
- It has discrimination facility.
Buying Guide – How to choose the Best Metal Detector for Kids 2019?
When planning to purchase a metal detector for your kid, the potential detector must meet specific requirements. It is the requirements that make it the best metal detector for kids. Find the criteria below
For a lot of people, their appliance has to be easy to understand and easy to use. Being for kids makes simplicity a must. So, you need to select a detector that is very easy to operate. It will be easy for you to understand and also easy for you to teach your kid how to use it.
No matter how valid, if it is too heavy, your kid may not be able to move it around for long before his/her arm begins to ache. A suitable metal detector should not exceed 5 pounds in weight, at least for kids.
3. Durability and ruggedness
Anything that is going to be used by kids needs to be extra strong. No matter how much you monitor your kid, the chances are high that he or she will still mishandle the detector. Remember, the warranty does not cover every fault. Ensure you pick a rugged metal detector.
4. Low battery indicator
Nothing can be more disappointing for you and your kid than getting to your search location only to discover that your child’s metal detector is out of battery. So, you should opt for just a detector that has a low battery indicator. However, buying a metal detector with a low battery indicator is one thing, responding to the indicator promptly is another thing. So, it is not enough to buy a detector with a low battery indicator; you must also watch out for the indicator and respond to it promptly.
5. Always purchase alkaline batteries
Both 9v carbon batteries and alkaline batteries are suitable for metal detectors but alkaline batteries last longer, and they are safer so you should always choose them over carbon batteries.